Sunday, April 12, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up – March 29th-April 4th

I smell our upcoming vacation in the air!!!

********************

I stopped in the thrift store one day this week, just to browse for something fun to take on vacation with us, like maybe a new board game or something.  Instead, I found a good-sized Toshiba tv with built-in DVD player for $125.

DSCF4132DSCF4133

I was so happy to get it, because it’s the last thing I’ve really been wanting to finish off our school room.  The recent addition of wall-sized chalkboard panels made such a difference to our daily work in there that I started thinking about what else I needed to make our school room ideal.  The one thing that takes us out of that room during our instructional time is when we have to watch a science DVD or work on a subject online.  To keep us in the school room, I was looking for something just like this, and it worked out great!  I went online and was able to order a brand new remote on ebay for under $20.  It has a connection for my computer, too, so we can even work on our online review products on the big screen.  The kids were super excited!

********************

After wrapping up school for the week, we quickly packed ourselves up on Thursday night so we’d be ready to head out for our vacation first thing on Friday morning!  Yay!  On the way up to our cabin in Front Royal in two vans, the boys and I stopped at a Dairy Queen and ordered some ice cream cones.  Holden got a small, and Hayden and I opted for a large.  But WOW!

20150403_121405 20150403_121420 

We had no idea a large was…well…so large!  I couldn’t believe how big they were!  That thing was about the size of my head.  I exclaimed so loudly that I didn’t know how in the world we could eat that much ice cream that folks around the restaurant were laughing at us.  We both said we wouldn’t have been surprised if each one contained a half-gallon of ice cream!  It was man vs. ice cream, and the ice cream nearly won!  But we persevered and managed to finish them off, although not without a struggle.  All 3 of us had drips in our laps, to be sure.  Needless to say, we never ate lunch…we were just too stuffed!  I don’t even want to know how many calories were in that thing…

********************

It was quite chilly up there when we got up on Saturday morning, but it was oh-so-relaxing to be back at the cabin.  We planned to just sit back and relax for the first few days before making any plans for an outing.  Although with so much rain in the forecast, it looks like Monday night will be the warmest night (51) without rain for Steve and Hayden to go camping in Shenandoah National Park.  We shall see!

DSCF4158 DSCF4159

No doubt about it…I love this place!  The view from the front porch is just amazing.  That’s the south fork of the Shenandoah River you see, and our cabin is perched up on a cliff high above it.

********************

We came to Cliffside Cabin every year in October from 2007-2012.  On our very first trip, I was 6 months pregnant with Holden.  Once Hayden started public school, we were no longer able to take our annual fall vacation, so we did not make it up here in 2013 or 2014.  So we decided to go during his spring break this year, and here we are.  It’s so good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment