Saturday, August 29, 2020

Favorite Recipes for the Week of August 23rd

This week was filled with some pretty yummy stuff.  Here are our favorites.


TOP FAVORITE BREAKFAST:

Fresh Fruit Parfait with Cafe Mocha Mini Muffins.  These fruit parfaits were so very good!  They had a nice tropical flavor blend with the bananas and the pineapple.  So delicious!  I used mixed berry flavored yogurt from Danon Oikos.  Using ripe fruit, particularly the bananas and pineapple, in this recipe is key to the overall flavor.  I had trouble finding a ripe pineapple at my local grocery stores, so I ended up using canned pineapple rings that I cut up into tidbits, and that was fine.  My parfait cups weren’t big enough to hold all the fruit, so I had to put half of it in a little container on the side.  We just ate halfway down the cup and then added the rest of the fruit.  Anyway you serve it, it’s yummy!  We had 2 of the muffins on the side.  They may be my favorite flavor of muffin ever!  I don’t use mini muffin pans anymore, as I pared down my kitchen stuff considerably when we moved from VA.  But we actually prefer muffin tops to muffins anyway, so I used a couple of mini muffin top pans instead.  They take the same amount of batter but are shallow so you only get the tops of the muffins, and they don’t take as long to cook.  If you use muffin top pans, reduce your cooking time to about 10 minutes and check them for doneness with a toothpick as the time gets close. 


TOP FAVORITE LUNCH:

Southwest Chili Con Carne.  It was really a toss-up between the chili and the black bean soup we had (both southwest flavored), but Steve really favored this chili, so we’ll go with that.  This was very hearty and basically consisted of ground beef and lots of kidney beans with a V-8 vegetable juice base.  We served it with a couple of saltine crackers, some baby carrots, and a nectarine.  It was very satisfying!


TOP FAVORITE DINNER:

Italian Cheese-Stuffed Shells.  This was really popular with my whole family (except my daughter who wouldn’t even try it…she doesn’t like ricotta cheese).  I’ve made a lot of different versions of stuffed shells over the years, all of them good…but this one was by far the easiest to make.  The filling was thick and easy to spoon into the shells, so it wasn’t as messy or time-consuming to make as the others I’ve tried.  And it was absolutely delicious!  I will definitely make these again and again.  We served them with a salad.  They were such a hit with everyone that we all gobbled them down without taking a picture!  Sorry about that.  I’ll have to use the stock recipe photo from the Taste of Home website instead. 

Italian Cheese-Stuffed Shells


That’s it for this week!  I hope you find some new things you’d like to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment