Sunday, August 9, 2015

Tea Party & the Annual Burgess Birthday Bash!

On Haylee’s actual birthday, she likes for me to take her to the English Rose Tea Room for a special girl’s afternoon tea as part of her birthday gift, and this year was no different!  Only this year, her girlfriends couldn’t go with us.  But luckily, my sister was in town, and we were able to gather family together to make it a special day for her!

So on Friday, July 31st as Haylee turned 11, my sister, Wendy, my niece, Katie and her two children, Izzy and Kaden, and my sister-in-law, Karen, all came over from the Peninsula to meet us at the tea room.  It was a beautiful day, and Haylee was so happy to have family around her for her special day. 

We had a wonderful time, and my sister and her family were able to come by and visit with the boys for a few minutes afterwards.  It was so nice to get to see her!  I hadn’t seen my sister in over 3 years, and we’re very close. 

After they left, I got busy baking Haylee’s requested chocolate birthday cake and her favorite birthday dinner, and we sung to her when Steve got home from work. 

I’ll let the pictures tell the story of her special day!

 

Then yesterday, we had the annual Burgess Birthday Bash for Hayden’s 16th and Haylee’s 11th birthday celebration.  It was great to get good friends and family together for a fun afternoon.  We did a German theme this year, so we had bratwurst and sauerkraut, homemade hot German potato salad, braunschweiger liverwurst with cheese and crackers, and homemade black forest filled cupcakes!  It was all so delicious.  The cupcakes were a huge hit.  I’m definitely keeping that recipe!

 

Hayden said he and his friends had a wonderful time at his party, and he was really happy.  The two of them convinced me to take them shopping after our guests left so they could look for goodies with their birthday money.  My feet were killing me by the time we made it home!  It was a great day, though, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.  Hayden has such a nice group of friends from school, and I’m glad they were able to celebrate with him.  My sincerest thanks to everyone who came!

Hayden’s actual 16th birthday is this week on Wednesday, so I’ll be busy baking him his favorite pineapple upside down cake!  Yum.

Haylee and Holden will be back to homeschooling tomorrow after our 2-week break.  Ugh!  Summer is almost over.  There are still some adventures I’d like to take the kids on before Hayden starts back to school after Labor Day.  There are free tickets for residents this week to Colonial Williamsburg, so we’re hoping to do that on Friday.  We have old church friends passing through town on Tuesday on their way to Spain, so we’ll be picking them up to visit for a bit during their lengthy layover between flights.  I just have a couple of weeks left to use the tickets I bought for the Cape Henry Lighthouse Tour, and I need to take the kids bowling a couple of times before summer is over.  So we still have some fun days to fit in somewhere!  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment