Saturday, September 26, 2020

Favorite Recipes for the Week of September 20th

TOP FAVORITE BREAKFAST:

Blueberry-Stuffed French Toast.  I was really surprised by the combination of flavors in this unusual baked French toast.  Rather than cooking this in a skillet as you would traditionally do, this goes in the oven stuffed with blueberries, and then you serve a hot homemade blueberry/orange syrup over the top.  I used jarred Dole mandarin oranges in this so I wouldn’t have to deal with peeling off the skin on each orange section, and it was the perfect taste and texture.  The combination of the mandarin oranges with the blueberries in the syrup was actually very refreshing!  I have made this before with regular oranges, and the texture and flavor was not as good.  Also, partially splitting and trying to stuff an extra thick slice of Italian bread is a real pain, so instead, I used a pre-packaged loaf of sliced Italian bread so all the slices were a uniform size.  They were about 1/2 in slices, so two of them together was perfect, and it left no need to partially slice it.  I just stacked two together before I dunked the top and bottom into the egg mixture.  I made plenty for meal prepping, and it reheated really well in my air fryer.  I kept the syrup in little tubs to heat in the microwave and add after re-crisping the French toast.  Each serving was just as good as the last over the course of 3 days.  It was delicious!  I served it with an over-medium egg and 2 slices of bacon for a total of 285 calories!


TOP FAVORITE LUNCH:

Apricot Turkey Sandwiches.  I don’t typically like any kind of sweet version of a meat dish.  To me, sweet and meat just don’t go together!  But I will just about anything once, and I’m so glad I did!  This sandwich was delightfully tasty!  It had a wonderful combo of flavors.  I really didn’t specifically taste the apricot preserves on this, and I used a reduced sugar version from Trader Joe’s.  I used high quality ingredients…the carved peppered turkey breast and the Jarlsberg brand light swiss cheese slices both came from Trader Joe’s.  The red onion was a nice touch.  Because I made these sandwiches in advance in my meal prepping, I made sure to sandwich the tomato in the center of the sandwich so it wasn’t in contact with the bread at all…I didn’t want it to get soggy.  I also waited to toast the bread until we were ready to eat it.  I just put the entire assembled sandwich in the air fryer for about 4 minutes, and it came out just right!  It was just enough to melt the cheese and toast the bread perfectly.  It was so good!  The combo of sweet and tangy (apricot and Dijon) went together well.  My husband and I both loved this sandwich and would definitely make it again!  I served it with baby carrots, baked potato chips, and a sugar-free Jello tub for a total of 443 calories.  I forgot to take a picture of this one, so here is the stock photo from the Taste of Home website.

Apricot Turkey Sandwiches


TOP FAVORITE DINNER:

Salmon with Peas a la Francaise.  I grilled some excellent salmon steaks from Sam’s Club.  They were so thick and moist!  I drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled them with some Nature’s Seasons.  We had some fabulous Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce from Trader Joe’s with the salmon, which is our favorite way to eat it.  An employee recommended it for salmon years ago, and we’ve eaten it that way ever since!  I served this with a small buttered dinner roll and a serving of the Peas a la Francaise, which was a delicious variation with some pearl onions in it.  I used frozen pearl onions that I thawed, so I didn’t need to do the peeling and boiling as directed in the recipe.  This meal was a total of 366 calories.


I hope you enjoy this week’s featured recipes!  Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment