Saturday, January 5, 2019

Happy 47th Birthday to Me!

January 1st is not only New Year’s Day, but it’s also my birthday!  I’m officially 47!  Every year, I struggle to stay awake until midnight in the hopes of seeing the ball drop in Times Square, only to realize that I’ve somehow nodded off in the final seconds and then awoken minutes later to the sound of fireworks outside my window!  I kid you not…it’s an epic failure every year.  Well, this year, I knew I could do it.  I’ve been staying up late a lot through our holiday break, and I felt confident I could make it.  But then, shortly after 11 PM, Steve came into the bedroom and reminded me that now that we no longer live on the east coast, the ball actually drops at 11 PM central time, so I’d in fact already missed it!  UGH!  I never thought of that.  I just figured it was re-broadcast as appropriate by local channels in each time zone, but apparently not.  Blech!

So trying not to become convinced that the world was somehow conspiring against me, I decided to celebrate another way.  Indeed, I found some cute countdowns on Hulu that I watched just for fun, and then actually as midnight struck, I asked Alexa to countdown the new year on my Echo Show, and it worked out great!  It was quite festive, as it turns out, and it felt like my own little celebration after all.  Hooray!  Alexa saved the day.  Winking smile

My 47th Birthday #1

When I got up the next morning, I had a nice birthday phone call from my sister, and we have a lovely conversation.  When we finished, Steve and I went for our traditional free birthday breakfast together at Denny’s.  They were super busy, as usual for New Year’s Day, but we had a very nice time.

My 47th Birthday #3

Steve made me a fire at home, and we relaxed with some tv.  He and Haylee brought me cards and a lovely bouquet of flowers, which I loved!  Steve gave me the cutest little opera glasses to use at the symphony, which I’d been wanting for a long time.  They fold up small into a cinch bag to keep in my purse.  They picked up the birthday cake I ordered and kept it cold for later.  Then Steve and I ran out to Starbucks in the afternoon for my free birthday coffee.  I treated myself to my favorite Skinny Peppermint Mocha while it’s still around.  Yum!  Then we hung out at home until Hayden got home from work.  We had leftovers for dinner, so no one had to cook or make a mess in the kitchen, and then they sang to me before we ate the delicious cake I’d ordered from Kroger.  It was my favorite…a double layer chocolate cake with whipped chocolate frosting and a layer of whole strawberries in gel on the top.  It was fabulous!  I love that it’s light and not too sweet.  I could eat that cake all day! 

My 47th Birthday #2

I had hoped to use the hot tub, but the propane company forgot to deliver gas the day before, so we had to forgo the hot tub until the next day.  But all in all, it was a lovely, relaxing day, which I ended by soaking in a hot bath and reading my new book from the library.  It was just my kind of day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment