Sunday, January 1, 2017

Birthdays Abound!

Let me start by saying Happy New Year  to all of you!  I hope you have a safe and blessed year ahead of you.

The holidays have been so busy, as they usually are for us.  Holden turned 9 on December 28th.  I can hardly believe this is his last birthday before he hits the double digits!  All of my babies are growing up on me.  Here’s his requested jumbo pineapple upside down cupcake, and here is a video of him as we sung happy birthday.

20161228_215928

Today is my 45th birthday!  I dedicated my efforts in 2016 to getting fit and healthy again.  I lost about 19 pounds, and I’m happy to say that I exercise every day and eat right, and I’m feeling pretty good to be this old!  I’m much happier with myself at the turn of this new year than I was on my birthday last year, that’s for sure. 

My kids usually cook for me and do all of the dishes on my birthday, but this year, I volunteered to do all of the regular cooking if they would just bake me a special cupcake for my birthday and clean up afterwards, so that’s what they did!  I was actually hunting for a special cupcake to make for Holden’s upcoming birthday party when I ran across this recipe on Pinterest for Apple Pie Cupcakes.  I love ALL things apple cinnamon, so I immediately knew that this was what I wanted for my own birthday.  I was so happy when everyone agreed to this idea, so I picked up all of the ingredients, printed out the recipe, offered my tidbits of advice, and went to do my workout while Steve and Haylee set to work making magic happen in the kitchen.  I happened to have a Pillsbury Cinnamon Bun cake mix in the house, so I suggested they use that instead of yellow cake to make it even more cinnamon-y.  Man, were they ever delicious!  I want these every year…

20170101_200623

I started out the day by going out for a lovely breakfast with my husband, Steve, at Denny’s.  This is a traditional thing we do every year on my birthday.  We don’t get out too much together without the kids, so this is something special we really look forward to.  We had a nice leisurely morning together and then headed off with the kids for church.  I had made a special dinner for everyone the night before with leftovers for tonight, so we got to enjoy my made-from-scratch calzones for my birthday dinner.  Yum!  I really should have taken a photo of them after they were baked, but they weren’t around too long once they came out of the oven!  LOL

20161231_18475920161231_190703

Now I have to get busy planning for Holden’s birthday party next Saturday, which also happens to be Steve’s actual 46th birthday!  As I said, this stretch of holidays is a busy time for my family with three birthdays to celebrate thrown into the mix of Christmas and New Year’s.  I had a great weekend, and one of my oldest and dearest friends, Roslyn, came over on Friday night to watch a movie with me and hang out.  We had such a good time.  You can never spend enough time with good friends!

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year in 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment