Sunday, April 10, 2016

Filling in the Holes in our Curriculum

Who Is God?

I’m *almost* done finalizing our school plans for the 2016-2017 school year.  I just filled a hole for Haylee’s 7th grade bible study.  We’re going to be using Who Is God? from Apologia’s What We Believe Series.  She’ll be using the study book, notebooking journal, coloring book, and audio CD’s.  I’m also getting the junior notebooking journal so that Holden can join in and we can do bible study as a group for school.  Yay!

I still need to figure out what to do for Holden’s 3rd grade Spanish curriculum.  He’s finishing up Sing Song Spanish, which he loves, but he’d not old enough for Spanish for Children.  So I’m still hunting for something else.  If you have any suggestions, please share!  The Schoolhouse Review Crew has an upcoming review in June for Foreign Language for Kids by Kids, so I’m hoping maybe that might work out and fit the bill.

The final hole we have is for Haylee’s Language Arts.  I’m trying to decide if I should focus on grammar or writing for her, but I’m leaning towards writing since she’s going into 7th grade.  If I do grammar, then I’ll probably use the free Glencoe Grammar 7 workbook.  But if I do a writing program, I’m leaning towards purchasing Write Shop Junior E.  Haylee has reviewed level D before, and she really enjoyed it and thought it was fun.  I need a gentle introduction to writing because she really hasn’t done a formal writing program before, so I think level E might be a good starting place for her (for reluctant 7th graders).  It’s pretty pricey, though, even for the downloadable version, so I’m still pondering that.  Or I could use Wordsmith Apprentice ages 9-12.  Haylee’s 11 and will be 12 during the school year, so that might be a good fit.  I already own that.  I’d bought it for Hayden but never used it.  Again, recommendations and opinions are welcome!  Please do share your thoughts. 

Other than that, I think we’re in good shape!  We’re making SO many change this school year that I’m kind of looking forward to the variety and spice of doing some things differently.  And this will be the first time I’ve ever tried to combine Haylee and Holden for anything…in this case, music appreciation and bible study.  So we’ll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment