Saturday, November 20, 2021

New COVID Booster Eligibility!!!!

In case you missed yesterday’s news, the COVID booster shots have now been approved and recommended by the FDA for ALL adults 18+ who had their 2nd vaccination at least 6 months ago.  No underlying conditions are required to be eligible!  I AM SO HAPPY!!! 

COVID Booster Shot: Do I Need It?

I got my first shot on January 15th.  I met the early eligibility requirements because I was on immune-suppressant medication and repeated rounds of oral steroids for the chronic inflammation in my frozen shoulder.  I had a second surgery on that shoulder on February 5th and then showed up with my arm in a sling for my 2nd dose on February 9th.  So it’s been nearly 10 months since my last COVID vaccination.  I would have been eligible except that once I was released from therapy and treatment for my shoulder, I was finally able to get off the immune-suppressant meds after a year and a half of taking them.  So I’m no longer in a high risk group, and I’m not even 50 until January.  I don’t work outside the home, so I didn’t meet any of the special circumstances to qualify for the booster.  As a result, I have been all kinds of nervous about being out around groups of people, and I always wear a mask in public.  But I’ve been particularly nervous about church, where people were singing and hardly anyone but us was wearing a mask, and also about eating in restaurants where people who do wear masks take them off to eat.

I was out doing some volunteer work on Friday morning, and while I was doing that, the FDA was meeting to discuss boosters for all adults.  When I got home, I was greeted with the news that it had been approved!  I was SO happy.  I immediately got online to see where and how soon I could get an appointment.  I ended up scheduling myself for Monday, November 22nd @ 11:30 AM at my local Kroger pharmacy.  Now I wouldn’t normally be willing to get a shot at a pharmacy, but I could get an appointment right away, and I really trust this particular pharmacist who has been very helpful and knowledgeable in the past.  I’ve seen him administering vaccines to people in recent months.  I believe I can trust him to give it to me correctly.  I just hope he is working tomorrow morning! 

So if you hadn’t heard the news and it’s been 6 months for you, then go ahead and sign up now!  If it hasn’t been long enough for you yet, then set yourself a reminder to schedule your appointment when the time comes.  This is GREAT news for EVERYone.

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!  We’ll be closing on the refinancing of our house that morning, and I’m excited about that, too.  We’re getting 2.5% and 15 years, so we’re shaving 10.5 years off our existing mortgage.  Now we should be able to retire here and stay in this house that I love so much.

Have a great week and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment