Saturday, June 26, 2021

A Favorite Recipe–Barbecued Pork Southern Style

I was digging through my freezer the other day, trying to decide what I could use up for dinner this weekend.  I ran across a twin pork tenderloin pack that was almost 3 pounds. That means just one thing to me…Barbecued Pork Southern Style!  Perfect size, perfect cut of meat for some delicious pork barbecue sandwiches.

When I make this, I traditionally will serve the meat as an entree with mashed potatoes and corn on the first night and then subsequently use the leftovers for barbecue sandwiches until it’s gone.  But I had my heart set on going straight for the sandwiches this weekend because I haven’t made this in a long time, and it did not disappoint!

You can’t go wrong with this recipe…and the pleasing aroma it creates is a lovely bonus while this cooks in the oven for at least a couple of hours!

BARBECUED PORK SOUTHERN STYLE

INGREDIENTS

2 to 3 lbs pork tenderloin*
1 tsp celery seed
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
dash of hot pepper sauce to taste
1 cup water

*Double sauce recipe for pork 3+ lbs.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a heavy skillet, brown the pork on all sides in a small amount of oil.
Place it in a heavy, oven-safe pan with tight fitting lid or a pan that you can seal with aluminum foil.

2. Place the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute; pour mixture over the pork.

3. Cover tightly. Place the pork in a preheated 325 degree oven and bake for about 35-45 minutes per pound.

4. Baste several times with the juices in the pan.

5. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.

6. Shred the pork with 2 forks and allow it to absorb the juices.

7. For spicier meat, add additional hot pepper sauce and a few drops of vinegar.

************************************

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!  This makes a lot, so it’s perfect for your upcoming 4th of July celebration, as well.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment