Saturday, November 14, 2020

Favorite Recipes for the Week of November 8th

It was unseasonably warm this week in North Texas, so I did less cooking and relied more on leftovers.  Also, our volunteer neighborhood association put together a drive-by catered dinner that was enough for a dinner and lunch for each of us, so I got a nice break from the kitchen this week.  Despite that, I still have some weekly favorites to share with you.

TOP FAVORITE BREAKFAST:

Overnight Yeast Waffles and Homemade Breakfast Patties.  The waffles were just okay…nothing special in terms of flavor.  But I found this thin batter worked best in my waffle stick maker than in my Belgian Waffle Maker.  The batter wasn’t thick enough for that.  I don’t have a standard waffle maker, but the waffle stick maker worked just fine.  It made a lot, which made for quick breakfasts for a few days!  I reheated them in the air fryer each morning, which made them crisp and fresh as if they had just been made.  The sausage patties, however, were out of this world!  My husband raved about them.  The cayenne pepper gave them just enough kick to be noteworthy, and the rich flavor will catch you off guard, considering these are straight ground turkey with no pork whatsoever.  They are very low-calorie, and your family will never know the difference!  I will definitely be making these again and again!  Here are stock photos from Taste of Home.

 


TOP FAVORITE LUNCH:

Ham ‘n’ Northern Bean Soup.  This was originally Ham ‘n’ Chickpea Soup, but considering my husband made me promise I would never serve him chickpeas when we got married, I made a quick substitution with Great Northern Beans instead.  It was wonderful, and he really like this hearty soup!  I used some flavorful smoked spiral ham ends and pieces that I cut up in into little chunks in place of the bland cubed ham you can buy pre-packaged.  It was really good!  I served it with a pepper jack cheese stick and 1/3 cup red grapes for a total of 435 calories.  Yum!  Here’s a photo from Taste of Home.

 


TOP FAVORITE DINNER:

German-Style Short Ribs.  This recipe was a huge surprise to me!  I wasn’t sure what kind of sauce it was going to make, because it had an interesting array of ingredients, including mango chutney (which I had to go to the Indian grocery store to find) and apple cider vinegar.  I thought it was going to be some kind of sweet barbecue sauce, but it was nothing like that.  These cooked all day in the crockpot, and when I removed the lid, poured the grease off the top, and stirred it, the meat literally fell from the bones, making them easy to remove from the pot.  I ended up with a large bowl full of round bones for my dogs to enjoy (making this their favorite recipe, too!), and enough meat for 8 servings since I had a bit more than the recipe had called for.  That only lasted for 2 meals, though, since all my kids were home the first night, and all of them loved this dish!  The slightly sweet sauce lent so much flavor to the meat.  It was delightful!  Even my very picky teenage daughter, who rarely eats anything I made, actually ate this whole meal.  I served it with some buttered egg noodles and a small salad for a total of 449 calories.  I found a giant package of beef short ribs at Sam’s Club for about $5.49/lb. that was the perfect size for this recipe.  Here’s a photo from Taste of Home.


That’s a wrap!  I hope you have a wonderful week and find some time to start your Thanksgiving shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment