Sunday, January 18, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up – January 4th-10th

It’s time to get back to school and work!


Now that we’re all drugged up on antibiotics, it’s time to get back to school and work.  We missed church, but we took the opportunity to get one more day of rest before getting back to the grind.  Monday brought the kids’ first homeschool gym class for the winter.  Holden had some coughing spells with the extra physical activity, but they had a great time and look forward to 11 more classes before baseball season begins!


Haylee is always so happy when it’s time for her weekly art lesson from ARTistic Pursuits.  This week, she learned about the basics of printmaking.  This was a totally new medium for her.  She had to etch the image of a furry creature on a piece of foam using the tip of a pencil.  Then she had to set up three stations…one for spreading out the ink with a brayer, one for rolling the inked brayer over the etched image she made on the sheet of foam, and one for flipping it over onto a sheet of paper for printing.


Here’s her finished print!


She was pretty happy with it, and I thought it was cute enough to put into a frame in the living room, which made her all kinds of happy.  :)


Honestly, we were all still just trying to get ourselves well again, so we kept taking our antibiotics and went through the motions of all that we had to so this week as we got gradually better.  Hayden and I had to go up to his school to volunteer on Thursday night.  They were having an Open House for prospective new parents and students who are thinking of applying to the school for next year.  Hayden manned a demonstration table where he showed the guests some of the programs they’ve written in Design Technology, and I was one of the GRC parents who walked around answering questions that prospective parents and students had about the school’s programs and what we have to offer them.  It was a wonderful evening, and they asked great questions.  It’s very important that the school keep up the flow of applicants so they can fill up the 125 slots available for new 9th graders each year.  It was definitely time well spent.


Wednesday was Steve’s birthday…44!  He was sick, too, so we decided to do his ice cream cake later, only we never got around to it this week!  I’m sure we’ll get it out of the freezer eventually.  We’re just all such a mess right now!


I’ve had at least 3 fever blisters since November, and I’m really getting tired of dealing with them.  Every time I’ve been sick or I’ve gotten chapped lips, I’ve ended up with one.  I happened to have one when I saw the dentist last month, and she gave me a prescription for something called Denavir.  She said it’s an expensive anti-viral cream that prevents the blister from forming if you put it on as soon as you start feeling the tingling sensation.  So I decided that I’d wait until after the first of the year when I’d have prescription coverage on my health insurance.  I hadn’t thought much about it until I woke up on Saturday with yet another fever blister!  That’s what I get for having been sick. 

So I dug out my prescription and started driving around town trying to find a pharmacy that actually had it in stock so I could use it right away before the blister formed.  After trying Kroger, Walgreens, Target, and Kmart, I finally found it at CVS.  The pharmacist made a point to say she needed to make sure my insurance would cover it before I filled it, which struck me a little odd.  My co-payment turned out to be $30, but I was curious what the actual price was.  So when I got home, I researched the cost and found out that this little tiny tube of 5 grams of cream costs about $650!  How crazy is that?  But I have to tell you…this stuff really works!  I put it on every 2 hours during the day, and I never got the blister.  Awesomeness!  It’s the little things in life…


That’s pretty much it!  The boys finished up their medicine and are finally feeling better.  Hayden finally got his voice back about mid-week.  I am still taking my antibiotics until Monday, but on Saturday night, I slept through the whole night without waking up for the first time since I got sick!  Boy, I felt like a million bucks.

We’re looking forward to Holden’s birthday party next Saturday…he’s had to wait so long for everyone to get better!  I know he’s so excited.

Until then!