Saturday, November 16, 2019

I Survived Shoulder Surgery!

I can only type with one hand, so I have to keep this short. I had my surgery yesterday afternoon. It was delayed because it took two nurses an hour to get an IV in my arm!  I have this issue every time, so I expected it.

I had calcium debridement, rotator cuff repair with anchors, bursectomy, and subacromial decompression. The surgeon told my husband that the calcium deposit was even larger than the MRI showed…it was 2 cm…and he said I was a real trooper for living with that in there because they are so painful.

I’ve been suffering with this pain for over a year and already did anti-inflammatories, cortisone injection, and 12 physical therapy sessions, only to have the pain return, and I didn’t find out the real problem until I saw the doctor again and was sent for x-rays. Then I got referred to an orthopedic surgeon who sent me for an MRI and told me I needed surgery.

20191116_165847

So here I am, one day post-op!  I have a nerve block with a continuous pump for 3 days.  I can feel my arm but it helps take the edge off the pain.  I’m hurting, but I’m trying to avoid taking the narcotic pain meds, so I’ve only taken Aleve so far.  I’m using an ice machine for swelling.  I have to wear an immobilizer sling and not drive until I have my post-op appointment after 10 days. Then I will start physical therapy again in that week, once a week for 12 weeks.  The first few weeks are only passive movement and then assisted movements after that. It will be a long time before I have full use of my arm again, but I’ll get there eventually!

My ultimate goal is to be able to resume my daily workouts. When I can do that, I’ll know I’m finally healed from this whole ordeal!

2 comments:

  1. If you typed this "short" treatise with one hand and correctly spelled your meds and ailments your gonna be all right. You`re more proficient with one arm than most of us are with two. Hang in there!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Open ligament fix and an arthroscopic fix should be possible under general sedation, which permits you to rest through the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete