Wednesday, October 3, 2018

REVIEW: Books of the Bible At-a-Glance by Teach Sunday School

We took the opportunity to review a great bible reference resource called Books of the Bible At-a-Glance by Teach Sunday School.


WHAT IS IT?:

Books of the Bible At-a-Glance is essentially a quick reference tool that can help you place the who, what, when, where, and why of each of the 66 books of the bible.

Each summary is a single page for easy reference and can easily be utilized by both children and adults. 

This product has a regular price of $19, but it’s currently on sale for just $9 until the first 250 copies have sold.  This is a digital product that comes to you as a .pdf file that you can print at home or access on a digital device.

With a single purchase, you have the right to print unlimited copies for one household or for one church.


OUR EXPERIENCE:

As soon as I downloaded my file, I printed out a double-sided hard copy in full color and laminated the front and back covers.  I used my plastic comb binding machine, which I use for my homeschool, and punched and bound the whole thing into a nice little booklet.  If you didn’t have the ability or willingness to do that at home, you could also take it to a local office supply store and have it done there for a small fee.  Or if you don’t need or want a hard copy, you can always use the .pdf file on our computer or other digital device…anything with a .pdf reader.

I used this resource for a couple of different things.  My homeschooled son, Holden, is currently doing a weekly bible study for school, and that program jumps back and forth between lessons in the Old and New Testaments.  He found it helpful each time we switched books to have me read aloud the corresponding book summary from this guide before beginning our lessons in each new book of the Bible.  Especially because we’re jumping around in our studies, it helps him keep track of the time period, the circumstances, and who has written each book.

For me, I’m doing a daily chronological study of the bible with a friend in another state.  We communicate through the bible app each day when we’ve completed our daily reading.  We switch books often, as well, since our study is chronological.  I personally found the summaries in this guide quite helpful to keep track of the setting and major events as we switched books of the Bible. 

Each one-page summary provides the book title, book number (order) and placement in the bible, the author, the date it was written, the time period it covers, its “claims to fame,” a summary of famous stories included, its most famous verses, and some important points about the book.

I found the “claim to fame” section to be really interesting.  For instance, I’m currently studying in Esther, and this guide indicated that Esther is the only book of the Bible that does not mention the name of God, even though the story of Esther is quite godly.  I hadn’t realized that! 

Not only is this resource helpful in the ways that we’ve used it, but I think it would be great to use as a tool in a bible study class at church, particularly for children who may not be as familiar with every book of the bible.  It’s a great way to introduce a new book to them.  And for a new Christian, I think it could be a great way to help them become more familiar and get a feel for the flow and placement of major events in the bible. 

One of the reasons I’ve always enjoyed a study bible format over a traditional bible is because it often includes some of this type of background information, and it helps me picture the time and place where events are taking place in the bible.  That’s exactly what these summary pages do for you.  From this point on, I fully intend to keep this guide in my church bag for easy reference for the many studies we are doing each week (Sunday morning, Ladies’ class, and Wednesday night).  And I’ll most likely also recommend it to the class teachers at church.  One purchase for that one low price makes this resource available to be used for every member at church in every class.  You just can’t beat that!

Check out what other Crew members have to say about this great product by clicking the banner below.

No comments:

Post a Comment