Saturday, October 16, 2021

Update on My Carvana Saga

Carvana | Buy & Finance Used Cars Online | At Home Delivery

I haven’t heard from my Executive Resolution Agent since September 5th when he said he’d have an update for me in 2 days.  I never heard from him again.  I’ve written to him at least twice since then, and I’ve gotten no response or acknowledgement whatsoever.  I have one more renewal left on my TX temporary plates, and that will take me through November 25th.  After that, I have no recourse.  I will again be unable to drive my car until they provide my permanent registration. 

This week, I heard from the investigator at TX DMV where I filed a formal complaint against Carvana for violating TX dealer laws.  They only had 60 days to file for a permanent registration, which they did not do, and in fact, still have not done to this day.  The investigator informed me that Carvana is still waiting for a duplicate title from CA, which is notoriously slow, and Carvana won’t even be able to apply for a registration until they obtain the title.  Obviously, they should not have waited so many months to start that process.  That was begun less than 2 months ago.  December 11th will be one YEAR since I purchased the vehicle.  It’s beyond ridiculous.  Anyway, the investigator said he determined that Carvana DID violate TX law and CONTINUES to be in violation to this day.  He said his findings and recommendation have been forwarded to their attorney to determine disciplinary action.  Now that does not help ME…but it gets Carvana in trouble with TX, which is where it all starts.  I don’t want other people to go through this ordeal.  I’ll have to seek my own legal help if it gets to the point that I can’t drive the car any more. 

Here is the letter I got from TX DMV on 10-14-21:

Dear Kelly Burgess,

I have completed my investigation regarding your complaint against the above named licensee filed with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles - Enforcement Division. My investigation revealed evidence of a violation(s) related to the laws and/or rules which we regulate.

The dealer is having to obtain a duplicate title from the State of California, which is notorious for taking an extended period of time.  The dealer is still in violation. 

Your complaint, and my recommendation, have been forwarded to the attorney assigned to this case. The attorney will make the final determination on what disciplinary action, if any, will be taken.

You may have other claims or avenues of redress that can be pursued. You may wish to consult with a private attorney to discuss your options.

Thank you for bringing this matter to the attention of the Enforcement Division.

Justin White, Investigator
Enforcement Division-Motor Vehicle
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

 

So that’s that.  I hope they stick them with a fine, which they most definitely earned.  I certainly hope that Carvana resolves this issue before my final temporary registration expires next month, but time is running out fast.

In the meantime, the reporter from the Wall Street Journal that I’ve been working with, Ben Holdy, tells me that he is close to publishing his exposé article about all of the problems clients have encountered in transacting with Carvana.  I’m obviously among them, and I continue to keep him in the loop about the status of my issue.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment