Saturday, October 23, 2021

Annual Checkup…Turning 50 is No Joke!!!

I had my annual checkup on Friday.  I will be 50 in just about 2 months or so, and this checkup was really, really thorough!  I had to get a pap smear, fast for cholesterol test, and get a blood draw for all the usual tests in addition to a battery of hormone tests.  I also got a referral for a mammogram since I’ve only ever had one, and that was in VA.  I also got a referral for a colonoscopy.  I had one of those when I was 40 due to my family history (my grandfather died of colon cancer, and my mother had polyps removed 3 times that are the hereditary type that develop into colon cancer).  I got that scheduled for April (the first available appointment!), and I have to call this week to schedule the mammogram.  In addition, I also had a pap smear for the first time in 5 years!  I’ve had cervical dysplasia in the past and had to have a LEEP surgery to remove the abnormal tissue, so I’m anxious to get the results this time.  I’ve been used to getting tested every year in the past.  Oh!  And let’s not forget the urine sample, too.  And while I was hoping I could get a Moderna COVID booster, I’m not yet eligible since I’m no longer on immune-suppressant medication.  I did, however, get my annual flu shot.

Don't Forget These Medical Tests While You Turn 50 - PharmEasy Blog

Photo Credit to PharmEasy website

So far, I’ve only gotten my CBC blood test (normal) and my hormone tests back (normal).  I guess the rest will trickle in next week. I have to admit that I’m not really looking forward to the colonoscopy!  At least they said they use a pill form of prep now.  I had to drink a whole bottle of liquid laxative last time.  Ugh! 

Have you reached this milestone yet?  I felt like I had a bad case of old!  LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment