Saturday, October 10, 2020

Favorite Recipes for the Week of October 4th

This was week 2 of having my husband self-quarantine and work from home, so things were still a bit out of whack here.  On the upside, I was surprised during a webinar for work on Tuesday by being awarded a $50 Amazon gift card for being selected as the September Reviewer of the Month!  I’ve been on the Homeschool Review Crew for 9 seasons now, so I really appreciated the recognition!  I told my husband that will buy me about 5 more paint-by-number kits from Amazon!  Smile 

Reviewer of the Month Homeschool Review Crew September 2020[14114]

Now on to this week’s favorite recipes!


TOP FAVORITE BREAKFAST:

Monterey Quiche.  This was really good with a delightful, buttery pie crust.  I reheated leftover portions in the air fryer to keep the crust crispy and not soggy, and it turned out great.  Even my 12-year old son loved this!  I served it with 1 slice of bacon and 1/2 cup red seedless grapes for a grand total of 316 calories.


TOP FAVORITE LUNCH:

Red, White, and Blue Pita Pockets.  This is an old favorite of ours.  The marinated steak is superb in this meal!  All of the flavors meld together so well.  I’m not usually a big fan of blue cheese, but this can’t be beat.  Of course, we gobbled it up before I took a photo, so a stock photo from Taste of Home will just have to do.  I served this with 1/3 cup red seedless grapes for a total of 480 calories.

Red, White and Blue Pita Pockets

We did have a close second favorite lunch, though, that’s worth mentioning.  The Colorful Beef Wrap was also a fabulous steak wrap for a hearty lunch, which I served with sliced strawberries.  Yummy!  If the pita pockets above are too many calories for you or you don’t have time to marinate, this is a great alternative.  Here’s a stock image for you from Taste of Home.


TOP FAVORITE DINNER:

Garlic Lemon Shrimp.  This is a pretty basic dish, but who doesn’t love shrimp and pasta?  This lighter version of shrimp scampi can be a little bland compared to the real thing soaked in melted butter, so I sprinkled a little extra parmesan cheese on top, and that perked it up a bit. I would definitely make this again, because you really can’t go wrong, but I think some extra minced garlic may be in order next time around.  I couldn’t help but think how much better it would be with melted butter in the sauce, but I digress!  Healthier cooking is the key with all of these recipes.  I served this with some steamed broccoli and a small Hawaiian roll with a little light butter on the side for a total of 343 calories.


Now that fall is here, I made the family a big batch of my traditional Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies.  When we think of fall, we all think of these cookies first, which are really like soft little cakes with a drizzle of icing on top.  I make half a batch of icing and just drizzle it on, because a little goes a long way with these.  The pumpkin flavor really shines through.  You can’t go wrong!  It makes a lot…I think I got about 42 cookies out it…and yet they were gone in a flash!  My adult son’s girlfriend loves them, too, and usually takes some home with her.  These are great with my morning tea, too.  They are just great, period!  Definitely give them a try.  Thanks, Nestle’s Very Best Baking, for an awesome and timeless recipe!  Here is the stock photo from Libby’s/Nestle, because these surely aren’t around long enough for a photo from home!

Old-Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies


I hope you find some wonderful here to make for your family this week.  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment