Saturday, April 10, 2021

Homeschool Plan for 2021-2022 School Year–8th Grade

Every year, I share what my homeschool curriculum plans are for the upcoming school year.  This is the last time I’ll ever do this, because this new school year will be our LAST year of homeschooling, and then I officially retire after 19 years!

I’m still considering what to do for math.  I switched programs when my older kids got to Algebra.  They both did No-Nonsense Algebra, and it really helped them cope with the abstract thinking required for algebra, while presenting the material in concise, interesting videos and 1-page practice pages.  But Holden has really enjoyed CTC Math over the last couple of years, so I’m undecided yet as to whether or not we should just stick with what works for him or if we should switch like the older kids did to No-Nonsense Algebra.  I still have a few weeks to decide!

Another complication in my plan this year is that mid-year, Spelling City Premium sold out to Vocabulary A-Z.  My paid subscription transferred over automatically, and all of my word lists and student info were imported.  However, that site is terribly cumbersome, not easy to use, not organized very well, and not flexible in the way that Spelling City was.  I found out we can go back to using the free version of Spelling City for spelling words only, but the vocabulary portion was a premium feature, and that’s no longer available at Spelling City. So now I’m at odds about what to do for vocabulary this year.  I think I may need to seek out something entirely new.  UPDATE:  I found a site called SpellingClassroom.com that I plan to use for both spelling and vocabulary.  It’s $50/yr for one student, and I can add my customized lists.  Kids play spelling and vocabulary games, take quizzes and tests, it records their activities and scores, and they also earn reward “coins” they can spend to play real video games.  There are lots of parental controls, and we tried it out with a 2-week free trial.  Holden loved the games and activities, and setting up my word lists was easy.  This one is a winner!


2021-2022 CURRICULUM PLAN

8th GRADE

SUBJECT

CURRICULUM

Math

CTC Math Algebra
            *OR*
No-Nonsense Algebra

History/Reading

Bookshark Level I (previously called Level 100)

Language Arts

Write Shop Junior Level F

Science

Apologia Exploring Creation Chemistry & Physics

Spelling

SpellingClassroom.com
(using the Bookshark Level I alternative spelling list)

Vocabulary

SpellingClassroom.com
(using Wordly Wise 3000 level 8 word lists)

Spanish

Rosetta Stone Spanish Online
(unless I find my Tell Me More Homeschool Spanish software…haven’t seen it since we moved!)

Bible

*Not sure yet*…
maybe Bible Study Guide for All Ages


I’m really glad I sat down to put this table together, because I realized I still have some iffy decisions to make.  I do have my Homeschool Planet lesson plans already saved for Bookshark history, readers, and spelling.  I just need to make the other lesson plans and order the supply kit for science.  I did already set up my school year schedule in Homeschool Planet, also.  I guess I’d better hurry up with these final decisions, though…we only have 5 weeks of school left, and I’ve just until the 3rd week of June to be ready to start our new school year!

If you have a child who will be starting 8th grade in your homeschool, feel free to share what you’ll be using.  It’s hard to believe that this is the last school year I will *EVER* have to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment