Saturday, November 21, 2020

Favorite Recipes for the Week of November 15th

I actually took a night off this week and picked up dinner after ordering online from our favorite Italian restaurant, La Bella Italy.  The portions are generous, so that led to also not having to make lunch the next day.  So although I didn’t make as many new recipes this week, I still have some favorites to share with you.


TOP FAVORITE BREAKFAST:

Ham ‘n’ Cheese Squares and Custard Berry ParfaitThis was a simple ham and swiss combination added to eggs, baked in a square dish, and cut into individual serving squares.  Everybody liked this.  However, I detest caraway seeds almost more than anything else on the planet, so I definitely omitted those.  I think a sprinkle of onion flakes would also add a nice flavor to this, which I’ll probably add next time around.  I also used nonfat Greek yogurt for a punch of extra protein.  I served each square with a Custard Berry Parfait and toast for a total of 305 calories.  The custard and blend of fresh berries (I used strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries, which were all on sale this week) were a nice complement.  I didn’t get a picture of this one, so here are stock photos from Taste of Home.

 


TOP FAVORITE LUNCH:

Taco Salad Wrap.  This recipe made a lot of wraps at one time, which was great.  They were a hit with everyone.  I liked the addition of the crushed baked tortilla chips inside each wrap for a little bit of added texture and flavor.  I added some fat-free sour cream, as well.  The wraps were generously sized and very satisfying.  I served them with some baked tortilla chips and fresh salsa on the side for a total of 438 calories.


TOP FAVORITE DINNER:

Braised Pork Chops and Spanish Rice.  These pork loin chops were so thick, and after browning them on all sides in a skillet, they slow-simmered in water on the stove for about an hour.  They were so moist and tender!  Then the juices were used to make a quick gravy at the end to serve on top.  Delicious!  I served them with the easy Spanish Rice and a salad on the side for a total of 336 calories.  My rice was done before my pork chops were ready, and since my son needed to leave before it was all done, I threw some jalapeno smoked sausage slices in with some of the Spanish rice for him to eat before he left with a sprinkle of cheese on top, and he said that was really good, too.  For the rest of us, it was worth waiting for the chops.  Yum!  My husband was a huge fan. 


Well, it’s Thanksgiving week, and I hope you all enjoy spending time with your families (from your own households, please…you know…pandemic and all).  It will be odd for us to not have guests this year, but 2020 has been a highly unusual year.  I’ll have at least one great recipe next week to share that will help you use up your turkey leftovers, so be on the lookout for that. 

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment