Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My baby girl is 8!!!

Yesterday was Haylee's 8th birthday!  She had quite a fun-filled day.  I made her an omelet with ham, Vermont white cheddar, onions, and peppers, along with babycake hashbrowns and turkey bacon.  Then we went to Sonic to get her free Wacky Pack Meal for lunch, which she ate on the way to the mall.  At the mall, went in Barnes & Noble to get her free chocolate chunk cookie from the cafe, and she ate that while we walked to Build-a-Bear.  There she used her $5 birthday coupon to buy a pretty purple shirt for her new bear.  Then we ran into Wal-mart for frosting and TRU for crayons and hit Chick-Fil-A for a few minutes so she could play while I scarfed down a sandwich (it was 3 PM and I hadn't had lunch).  Then we swung by home to grab the boys, and we all went to The Chille Ice Cream Shoppe so she and Hayden could both get their free birthday scoops with toppings.  Then we headed home so I could work some more on her birthday cake. 

I recently snagged a Big Top Cupcake silicone pan set at the Goodwill Outlet for mere pennies.  I researched at the time and found a 3-part video tutorial on YouTube about how to make a chocolate patty pan (a chocolate shell that is shaped like the bottom of the cupcake to set the cake down into), bake the cake, and assemble and decorate it.  I made the chocolate patty pan while we were out, leaving it in the fridge to harden.  Then when we finally arrived back home, I popped it out of the mold and left it in the fridge while I baked the cake.  It took two cake mixes! 

She had a funfetti cake with whipped funfetti frosting and sprinkles.  It took forever for the cakes to cool because they were SO big.  The fridge helped that process along some.  I trimmed the cakes on the tops so they could be joined together, trimmed the bottom half so it would fit inside the chocolate patty pan, and then frosted the top and added the sprinkles.  Word to the wise...if you ever make one, be aware that the chocolate melts FAST at room temperature!  Shortly after I finished it, the sides of the patty pan started to crack from the weight of the cake inside.  I should have put the cake in the freezer for a bit so it would cause the chocolate to melt, but I was running out of time. 

Anyway, we gathered everybody together just in time to sing and take pictures so we could slice the darn thing before it disintegrated right before our eyes!  LOL.  But seriously, it was a GORGEOUS, and ENORMOUS cupcake!  She looked so small behind it.  Everybody's eyes popped out at the size of it.  The chocolate patty pan is a fabulous idea.  It really gives the whole thing a realistic look and adds to the flavor of the cake, as well.  Who doesn't like chocolate with anything, much less cake?!? 

Anyway, it was delicious, and there was plenty to share with the neighbors, too.  It was the equivalent of 48 cupcakes!  Crazy stuff.  Holden declared that it was the biggest, best-est cupcake ever and that he wanted one for his birthday, too!  LOL. 

The festivities ended at about 9:15 PM, and my feet were killing me by this time.  We didn't get much school work done, of course, but I think it was a birthday to remember for her.  I tried not to think too much about how behind we were getting with school because there is always another school day, but the 8th birthday only comes once.  :)  I *do* get to just be mom sometimes and not just the teacher.  I have to remind myself of that every now and then.

  Fun times!
May your wishes come true, baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment